Always present in our cupboards, the colanders are a great help for us to make good meals. They accompany us in each of our preparations. We need it to design our starters, our herbal teas, our teas and especially our desserts. Between the different options that flow on the market, you have to know how to turn to the best product. Here are our tips to assist you in this quest.
How To Choose The Best Colander
The first characteristic that disociates each of these elements is the size. A small colander or tiny devices are usually reserved for drinks and liquids such as soups or soups. They are suitable for designing tea, herbal tea or for filtering fresh fruit juices. Their compatibility with cups or goblets depends on their formats. This increases their practicality since it suffices to directly hang the tool on the edges of the container to keep your hands free.
As for medium and large models, they become essential in our daily preparations. We use them to rinse our vegetables, salads and especially our fruits. Pastry cooks use it to sift their flour or to sprinkle icing sugar on pastries. Their capacity is therefore an essential point to address before buying any specimen.
Diversity in design and style
In this category, we refer to the aesthetics of the product. We should by no means get a model that we don’t like. Indeed, the scope and the technical details which refer to the structure of the article vary depending on the brand.
Some brands have modern and more contemporary designs. Other houses prefer to stay in the traditional by offering classic tools, but which are distinguished by the nature of their raw materials and by the quality of their finishes. There are also two-in-one products: a salad bowl as a base and a sieve that fits on top. The most basic and easy to use are the models with strainers.
Safety and hygiene in use
A buying guide for the best colanders should mention this property. A quality tool undeniably has a minimum of security. In this specific case, this results in rubber handles. Adding these accessories to the structure protects the person from the risk of burns. This detail is more common when it is a tea strainer or when the device is used to blanch vegetables or fruit.
In addition, for reasons of practicality and hygiene, favor the use of colander with feet which suspend the container in height. Models without a base support bring the holey bottom of the bowl directly into contact with the table. Food stored inside is sure to touch the kitchen work surface.
Often, stainless steel items are encountered. This material is preferred by major brands for its degree of resistance and for its robustness. With the right treatments, a utensil designed in stainless steel is not likely to deteriorate after a few uses. It remains the test of time and unchanging for many years.
Plastic copies have a shorter lifespan. Their strengths lie in their ease of use and their convenient maintenance. Foldable specimens are nonetheless in vogue and arouse people’s lust. They are easily moved and they do not occupy considerable space in the kitchen cupboards.
The different types of colanders
Among the options that appear in the comparison, the Chinese are timeless. This type of colander stands out for its shape, design and usefulness. It is used in particular to make sauces successful. Establishing itself in an elongated and conical structure, it has thousands of holes which extend from its height towards its slot. It is ideal for making sauces with fish carcasses. The format of the tool allows the cook to grind the food to bring out the juice.
As for the classic colanders, they reveal themselves in a half-moon with perforations on the base. There are plastic models with nylon wires or steel models designed with stainless steel strainer. There are also sieves, cheesecloth, drip cover, clip prototypes or the simplest drying rack.
List of 10 Best Colander
- HEALTHY MATERIALS: Using environmentally friendly Rubber and plastics materials,no smell.
- STURDY DESIGN AND PREMIUM QUALITY: You can rest assured that you’re getting only the very best with silicone collapsible colander. The colander is BPA free and dishwasher safe. The strainer’s convenient and ergonomic design will make cooking easier than ever as it has non-slip handles for perfect stability.
- LARGE CAPACITY: The Kitchen Strainer can holds 6 quarts of your favorite pasta, vegetables, fruit, leafy greens and so on.
- MULTI USE: You can used in or over a sink and freestanding on a counter or table
- MICRO-PERFORATED HOLES DRAIN FASTER AND PREVENT FALL-THROUGH – Extra close, small holes on every surface allow for super-fast drainage so you don’t have to tilt the bowl to get all of the water out. Our robust sieve holds onto your spaghetti noodles and cooked rice and stops small foods from falling through.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING – 100% dishwasher safe and rust-proof, this 5 Quart colander has never been easier to clean. The smooth pierced metal is gentle on your dish cloths and hands.
- INDESTRUCTABLE DESIGN WITH RIVETED HANDLES – Constructed of professional grade 18/10, 304 stainless steel and built to last a lifetime. Our steel will never deform or bend as it’s 20% thicker than other colanders. Our premium handles are riveted to the bowl and will never come off!
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE – Rest assured, we are so confident that you will love our product that we back it up with a 100% lifetime manufacturer’s warranty. If you are unhappy with your purchase for your reason, get your money back – no questions asked.
- STURDY CONSTRUCTION: The KitchenAid Colander features a sturdy, plastic construction and two oversized handles for ease of use
- DRAIN WATER QUICKLY: This colander's many perforations allow water to drain quickly from food
- CONVENIENT STORAGE OPTIONS: The colander's handles are designed for convenient hanging storage as an option
- ELEVATED BASE: Keep your food off of surfaces and countertops, the elevated base keeps contents clear of countertops and sink surfaces
- Easy grip handles
- Constructed in durable stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe, clean with ease
- Mirror polished finish for high shine
- 【★ Foldable and Space Saving Design】Ergonomic, space-saving design. Strainers are foldable, so they do not take up much room in your kitchen cupboards.
- 【★ Easy to Use】This round colander used for draining most foods like spaghetti, pasta, potatoes, broccoli, green beans, carrots, spinach and other veggies, to rinse your salad leafs, fruits and fresh vegetables.
- 【★ Safe】Using environmentally friendly Rubber and plastics materials,no smell.
- 【★ Multi Use】You can used in or over a sink and freestanding on a counter or table.
- GREAT FOR THE KITCHEN: Our original design RSVP Precision Pierced Colander is covered from top to bottom with tiny, precision pierced holes that allow water to drain freely.
- STAINLESS STEEL COLANDER: Wide rim base holds the colander above the floor of the sink and provides stability when pouring hot water into the colander; wide rim base also keeps the food inside the colander.
- PERFECTLY SIZED: Holds up to 5 quarts. 11 inches by 5.25 inches. Made of superior quality 18/8 stainless steel for a smooth, polished, corrosion-resistant surface.
- FANTASTIC QUALITY: A long-time favorite of Cook’s Illustrated. Not even the smallest of orzo or angel hair pasta will escape.
- THREE CONVENIENT SIZES: 1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart sizes for all your cooking, straining and preparation needs. Large 11" x 3 1/2" (with handles - 13 1/4") - Medium 8 1/2" x 3" (with handles - 11") - Small 6 1/2" x 2 1/4" (with handles - 8")
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL: All Stainless Steel heavy duty construction for maximum durability at an unbeatable price. Sturdy handles and durable mesh make this strainer set a must-have. Will not rust even in the dishwasher! BPA free, so it wont leach plastic chemicals into your food.
- STURDY BASE: Footed design facilitates fast, easy drainage for faster preparation, a cleaner rinse, and more efficient cooking. Makes a great alternative to handheld spider strainer.
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: Fully-perforated mesh strainer and footed design provide superior drainage with minimal loss. Mesh is sturdy and will not warp , stretch, or snag even under heavy foods. Also, it's 100% Dishwasher Safe and easy to clean.
- 5-QUART COLANDER (THAT’S OVER 5 POUNDS OF SPAGHETTI): Tiny, closely spaced holes mean your food drains fast without having to tilt the bowl. The stable draining ring base won’t tip over and won’t leave your food sitting in a puddle.
- FAST-DRAINING, NO RICE GETS THROUGH: A big improvement over both old-fashioned colanders with gaping holes and mesh colanders. They drain fast and won’t clog up with food.
- RUST-PROOF DISHWASHER SAFE 18/10 STAINLESS STEEL: You'll be impressed with the quality of the heavy duty steel with riveted handles. Designed to stand up to the rigors of a professional kitchen.
- TABLETOP READY WITH ADVANCED STABILITY BASE : The holes in this colander are small enough that you can strain most beans, pastas, and grains as well as fruits and vegetables without any worries.
- Features 1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4-Quart sizes
- Constructed in high quality stainless steel
- Sturdy base to sit on the countertop and sink with ease
- Oversized handles makes handling food comfortable
- ESSENTIAL KITCHEN STRAINER TOOL - This simple, flexible, yet stylish kitchen strainer features ergonomic plastic handles and large enough side and base holes to quickly rinse and drain foods like spaghetti noodles, vegetables for salad, fruits and more
- DURABLE SILICONE COLANDER - Made of heavy duty BPA free silicone that can resist heat up to 175°F for you to quickly blanch your veggies in hot water. It's designed with a sturdy base which provides stable balance while rested on countertops or sink
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE and 5 QT CAPACITY - This folding colander has a capacity of 5 quarts that's 12.5 inches length, it is perfectly sized to hold a variety of foods. It will fit and stand comfortably over a small, medium or large sized pot, sink or bowl
- FOLDABLE and SPACE SAVING - This lightweight and expandable drainer basket collapses from 5 inches to 2 inches high in just one push, making it convenient to store in any kitchen drawer, cabinet or drying tray without taking up too much space